I did some more work on the pickup. I finally got to wrapping the driver’s side headers. After taking them off, I discovered that area where the tube is welded to the flange had a small crack. I welded it up and wrapped up the header. I made a video that I’ll post within the next week. I also pulled the passenger side c-clip eliminator and “hopefully” resealed the area against the backing plate. I think some of the rust along with a small surface area caused me grief for both axles. So, I’m about ready to take the truck to the drags this weekend! Hope to see you there!
I know it’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything, sorry about that. Life has been busy, but the fuel system and nitrous is all plumbed. I didn’t do quite enough research though and put in 1/2″ aluminum tubing for the fuel system, which is a “no go” at the salt flats. Oh well, live and learn. I changed one of the heater hose fittings to allow more room for the fuel pressure regulator. I put in spark plugs that are two steps colder, it was a challenge just trying to find a plug with a 5/8 hex for a 69 396 head! The 13/16 are difficult to R&R with headers. I also made a temporary mount for the nitrous tank along with wiring the system. I wired up a push button that I’m not a fan of. I’m going to switch to a full throttle micro-switch with a window switch. I also had multiple fails with the driveline loop. Lets just say that I’m going to invest in torch to bend metal.
Well, I didn’t get as much done to the truck as I had hoped due to unforeseen issues. However, I did get the new fuel system installed. It is composed of a 20 gallon aluminum fuel cell with a sump and foam. The fuel cell feeds a noisy blue Holley fuel pump. The fuel pump pushes the gasoline through large 1/2″ aluminum tubing, which goes to the -8 AN stainless steel lines, fuel filter, pressure regulator, Holley 4160 750 cfm vacuum secondary carburetor, and nitrous plate. This system I calculated to support about 800-1000 horsepower. Although I didn’t make it up to the drags, I got a lot of work done to the pickup and the nitrous is much closer to being a reality. I’m planning on making it to the Madras Street Legal Drags on August 21st. Hope to see you there!
After a lot of thought about how I was going to plumb the fuel system, I ordered parts. I got them in the mail a couple days ago. Now, I’m just hoping everything actually works. I’ve already found one issue though, the Zex nitrous tank brackets don’t fit the NOS tank. I have come to find out I have an older NOS tank that has a smaller diameter than the new nitrous tanks. But right now that seems to be the least of my worries. I still have to supply enough fuel to the carburetor without running it out of fuel. This means I have some fabrication to do- building the fuel cell mounts, mounting the pump, hard line, running wires and fuses, etc. I’ll be starting on this in a couple of days.
I took the 65 to the drags and had a great time. However, on the way to the races the truck was having some issues with vapor locking. It also did this a number of times while doing burnouts in the water box and going down the strip. There will be a video on YouTube of the truck falling on it’s face while going down the track. When the pickup was running good it was running about 8.9 seconds in the 1/8. These times are pretty slow and really makes me want to put on the nitrous. I’ll see how it runs on about a 200 horsepower shot, but still think I need a much bigger camshaft. Regardless, I had a great time and think a lot of the family and other racers did too. This coming week I’ll be working on getting the fuel system installed so we can run some nitrous.
I would like to thank Carley Brantley Web Development/Design for sponsoring July’s races and paying for the entry fees! Also, the help in the race preparation and in the pit area was instrumental in running the pickup at the drags!
Took the dogs and pickup down to the carwash to get the truck cleaned up for the drags tomorrow. More specifically to get the yellow-bellied marmot’s night soil off of the engine. Rock chucks have no respect…
I also deflated the tires that were way over pressured. They were at over 30 psi and should be 14-18 psi. One of my gauges was way different than the other two. One went into the trash. I’m guessing my launches will be a little better. 🙂
Although I’m not going to get the new fuel cell and nitrous in the pickup before Friday, I figured I would at least get rid of some weight and start planning on the materials I need for the fuel cell.
Not much has been done to the 65 since the last races except for fixing the driver’s side axle leak. In my haste of getting the truck back together for the June street legal drags, I didn’t get all the rust and grime off the axle tubes. This time I took a wire wheel to the tube and cleaned it well with brake cleaner (At least I though it was brake cleaner, until I looked at the can, after it was back together). Hopefully the lubricants in the carb cleaner won’t affect it.
I also got the new fuel cell, but life’s been busy and it’s going to take some work to get it properly mounted and plumbed.
I won’t be starting any major project this week because on Friday the 24th is street legal drags, which I will be taking the 65 to. Hope to see you there!
Mark your calendars. We are planning on returning to the Madras Dragstrip for the street legal drags. The gates open at 5:30 pm and racing starts at 6:30. For more information you can visit Madras Dragstrip.